I wanted to share this recipe, to me the embodiment of summer. My grandma clipped it from her electric bill many years ago and it’s been a family favorite ever since. I consider it a meal in itself, but it’s also a great accompaniment. When I make it I adjust it a bit to my specific tastes, and you should too!
But here’s the way my grandma found it- some 30 years ago!?!
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced thinly
- 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
- 12 oz. grated jack cheese (or pepper jack)
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Cook rice according to directions on package.
- Cook zucchini in small amount of salted water until crisp tender. Set aside.
- In 3-quart buttered casserole, place cooked rice; cover with chopped chiles. Sprinkle on half of cheese; arrange zucchini slices over cheese. Add tomato slices. Sprinkle with salt. Combine sour cream, oregano, garlic salt, green pepper and onion. Spoon evenly over tomato layer. Scatter remaining cheese over all.
- Bake in 350* oven for 45-50 minutes, or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.